LOG OF UPDATES
Bathrobe's cjvlang site originally started in mid-July 2000. The Spicks & Specks subsite was added in the summer of 2003 as a collection of miscellanea. Originally it also included Photos, since moved to Pictorial, and The Little Prince, since moved to Le Petit Prince. This is a record of changes to the subsite, starting on 2 January 2004.
8 June 2013 (Beijing)
- After a realisation that the current approach was flawed, the page the page on comparisons with recent time periods was rewritten and rearranged to some extent.
6 June 2013 (Beijing)
- Streamlined the writing at the page on comparisons with recent time periods, and added a little extra information.
30 May 2013 (Beijing)
- Filled out a few examples in 'rose by 6% compared with the previous month' in English'.
27 May 2013 (Beijing)
Added a page on the use of expressions like 'rose by 6% compared with the previous month' in English'. Other languages to follow.
29 March 2013 (Ulaanbaatar)
- Slightly updated information and corrected an error at bookshops of UB.
26 March 2013 (Ulaanbaatar)
- Added Tagtaa Nomin Delgüür to bookshops of UB. This shop carries books in traditional Mongolian script imported from Inner Mongolia.
16 March 2013 (Ulaanbaatar)
12 September 2012 (Tokyo)
11 February 2012 (Beijing)
- Slight changes to Where to buy Mongolian-language books in Ulaanbaatar (including second-hand books).
7 February 2012 (Beijing)
16 October 2011 (Beijing)
24 August 2008 (Beijing)
- New article on What is Pringle in Chinese?
4 August 2008 (Beijing)
26 July 2008 (Beijing)
- Made slight changes to the Chinese Mentality.
22 July 2008 (Ulaanbaatar)
- Added piece on the Chinese Mentality (as seen in meeting people at airports).
20 July 2008 (Beijing)
- Added piece on the translation of 'Commodities Boom' into Chinese.
30 October 2007 (Beijing)
- Added Beijing subway version of Mind the Gap.
5 December 2006 (Beijing)
- Added a new version to Anti-Japanese puns.
30 November 2006 (Beijing)
27 November 2006 (Beijing)
- Le Petit Prince moved to its own subsite.
30 October 2006 (Beijing)
- Converted graphics in Style Plaza or Amorous Square to Unicode.
17 October 2006 (Beijing)
- Added Anti-Japanese Puns (a humorous anti-Japanese piece that came by SMS).
28 September 2006 (Beijing)
- Added Adsense above page titles.
15 August 2006 (Beijing)
- Slightly rewrote the article on Sino-Japanese Energy Conflict. The original writing was somewhat unclear and a little too emotive. I rather dread the day that this article is discovered by the nationalistic young Chinese who roam the net these days. Such people take grave offence at anyone who questions the righteousness of China's case or the jingoism that is becoming more common in China in recent years.
14 August 2006 (Beijing)
- Converted to new layout and navigation (as used in other sections of the site).
17 June 2006 (Queensland)
- Changed some of the colour scheme of the section.
2 December 2005 (Beijing)
- Added Singapore MRT to Mind the Gap.
18 September 2005 (Macau)
- Slight correction to Mind the Gap.
4 June 2005 (Macau)
- Improved the aesthetics of the whole section from the original horrible boxy green to a grey and gold theme. Still not ideal. Also made a few miscellaneous changes, including conversion of tone signs from numbers to diacritics.
30 March 2005 (Beijing)
- Rewrote and augmented some sections of Translation and Rewriting: Speech by Goji Sakamoto. Added a section on Impressions.
3 March 2005 (Beijing)
- The Sino-Japanese Energy Game (translation) added.
6 February 2005 (Macau)
- Slightly rewrote 'Balance and Flexibility' in the section on Translation and Rewriting.
4 February 2005 (Macau)
- Added a few links to Translation and Rewriting: Speech by Goji Sakamoto and corrected a few errors.
1 February 2005 (Macau)
- Fixed up navigation and headers.
28 January 2005 (Macau)
- Added a new section on Translation and Rewriting. This is an analysis of the translation of a speech given by a Japanese Minister (Goji Sakamoto) at the Boao Forum for Asia in April 2004. It has taken a long time to put this together, but the point is not the timeliness of the information but the quality of the translation. An excellent English translation had been made available for this speech. I compare this official translation with my own paltry efforts in order to try and find the difference between translation by a single person (myself) and translation by what appears to be a team consisting of an initial translator and a polisher/rewriter.
27 December 2004 (Macau)
- Fixed some mistakes in Mind the Gap dating back to earlier changes (mainly related to 'Mind the Gap' in Mandarin).
8 October 2004 (Beijing)
- Added links to Milonic at home page.
- Fixed up a few problems at Mind the Gap (Japanese variants) and made a few changes to the text and photographs of Style Plaza or Amorous Square?
25 September 2004 (Beijing)
- Added follow-scrolling menu using the menu licensed from Milonic. This eliminated frames at a swoop, although some rearrangement of the folder structure was necessary.
- Cleaned up headers.
- Added Cascading Style Sheets (CSS).
- Slight changes to Mind the Gap.
31 August 2004 (Beijing)
- Footnotes added to the Perils of Interpreting Via a Third Language.
30 August 2004 (Beijing)
- Made a few small changes to the Perils of Interpreting Via a Third Language.
- Added some photos to 'Style Plaza or Amorous Square?', 'Year of the Sheep or Year of the Goat?', 'Mind the Gap'.
- Added a photo giving yet another English rendering of the Boao Asian Amorous Square (or Style Plaza or Asian Customs Recreation Square, depending on your preference). Added text accordingly.
2 January 2004 (Hainan)
- Touched up the Perils of Interpreting Via a Third Language for style and intelligibility.
Oct, Nov, Dec 2003:
The main changes during these three months have been: