DAYS OF THE WEEK IN CHINESE, JAPANESE, VIETNAMESE, AND MONGOLIAN: LOG OF UPDATES
The cjvlang site originally started in mid-July 2000 with the uploading of this project, 'Days of the Week in CJV'. The project underwent countless rewrites before 2004 in order to try and get the wording right. None of them involved major changes. Several substantive changes were made in 2004.
These logs begin on 22 December 2003 (starting at the bottom).
25 October 2017 (Ulaanbaatar)
- Changed colour of navigation panel to distinguish it from that at the main site.
24 October 2017 (Ulaanbaatar)
- Completely rewrote Days of the Week in Mongolian (removed "& Buryat") to clarify the current naming used in different Mongolian-speaking areas. This was lost in the previous treatment, which concentrated on historical development. The rewriting also involved changes to The Seven Luminaries in Mongolian.
- Changed the narrative that planetary naming started in Mesopotamia at Days of the Week and other places. This does not appear to have been proved, and some authors say that it actually started with the Greeks.
- Changes to Days of the Week in Chinese and Days of the Week in Japanese to more clearly reflect the fact that China was still using the planetary names for days of the week during the late Qing dynasty. Previously I said that it had fallen into disuse.
23 October 2017 (Ulaanbaatar)
22 October 2017 (Ulaanbaatar)
- Added selective links to Youtube videos giving the pronunciation at each language. Added some subheadings; added or rewrote a few notes.
9 October 2017 (Ulaanbaatar)
- Again rewrote the page on Days of the Week in Mongolian and Buryat.
31 August 2017 (Ulaanbaatar)
- Some reformatting of the site.
14 January 2017 (Ulaanbaatar)
- Rewrote the page on Days of the Week in Mongolian and Buryat.
- Edited the page on the Seven Luminaries and Five Elements in Mongolian.
- Simplified navigation by paring down to main pages only.
13 January 2017 (Ulaanbaatar)
- Heavily edited Days of the Week in Chinese. The result is a more natural flow.
- Slight editing of Days of the Week in Vietnamese and some other pages.
- Added a couple of sources at References and Links and added a quote at Sunday or Monday?
12 January 2017 (Ulaanbaatar)
- Completely reworked the visual style and navigation of the project.
9 February 2016 (Queensland)
- Added note on numbering of days of the week in Hungarian (thanks Gyorgy Kereszti!)
- Corrected error in Tibetan name for Monday (thanks David Peng!)
7 April 2013 (Ulaanbaatar)
- Rewrote the section on Mongolian and Buryat days of the week, adding information on Kalmyk. Hopefully the explanations and reasoning are clearer.
- Slight improvements at Days of the Week in the West.
5 June 2012 (Beijing)
- Added page on the names of the Seven Luminaries in Mongolian.
- Added links to all 'footnote' pages.
- Removed Pluto from 'Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto'.
24 May 2012 (Beijing)
- Made some corrections to Days of the Week in Mongolian and Buryat, correcting the Inner Mongolian names and usage notes, and indicating the source of the 'full forms' of the numbered names.
21 May 2012 (Beijing)
- Amalgamated Mongolian and Buryat. The similarities and differences are better covered on one page.
20 May 2012 (Beijing)
Undertook a major update involving:
- Addition of Mongolian and Buryat names for days of the week.
- Abandonment of the numbering of pages into Part One, Part Two, etc. As a total novice, I was under the impression at the time I did the page (2000) that Internet users would obediently follow the suggested flow. Now, twelve years later, I know that this is an unreasonable expectation. Each section forms an independent page and the order of reading is no longer important.
- Some rewriting of the sections on Chinese names for days of the week and Vietnamese names for days of the week, as well as Western days of the week.
3 December 2007 (Ulaanbaatar)
- Converted the default font to Optima.
- Slightly rewrote Vietnamese days of the week and made minor changes to both Japanese and Chinese days of the week.
26 October 2006 (Beijing)
- Further rewriting of Days of the Week in Chinese (the previously rewritten version wasn't ideal) and made a few changes at Xingqi, a modern coinage.
3 October 2006 (Beijing)
- Rewrote Days of the Week in Chinese in order to remove the overemphasis on Chinese nationalism. The page on the Campaign against libai has been pared back and amalgamated with that on Xingqi (a modern coinage).
20 September 2006 (Beijing)
- Added Adsense above each page title, although this may seem a desecration of the site for the sake of a few measly cents :(
14 August 2006 (Beijing)
- Fixed up a few navigation problems; rewrote a few parts.
11 August 2006 (Beijing)
- Converted the encoding and all graphics to Unicode.
- Converted navigation to Milonic's Tramline.
- Rewrote a few small sections and corrected a couple of errors (mainly navigation errors).
- Added Google's Adsense.
13 November 2005 (Beijing)
- Fixed up problems with text colour and size (appears to have been a style sheet problem).
2 January 2005 (Macau)
- Fixed up some vestigial navigation problems left over from the old, highly flawed navigation system.
- Slightly rewrote The Japanese adoption of the planetary names as some parts of the previous rewrite seemed to be off the point.
- Started phasing out the page on Chinese, Japanese, and Vietnamese readings, a relic of the very early days of the site.
24 December 2004 (Macau)
23 November 2004 (Beijing)
17 November 2004 (Beijing)
- Added some information to the Chinese Days of the Week and edited a few lines.
- Added links to Days of the Week links.
10 November 2004 (Beijing)
- Added some links to Days of the Week links.
5 November 2004 (Beijing)
- Rewrote some of the page on Days of the Week in Chinese. (The awkwardness of the original 2000 version was never lost through repeated revisions. I hope that this will be slightly more readable.)
- Fixed up a couple more navigation problems in Days of the Week.
4 November 2004 (Beijing)
- Discovered and rectified extensive navigation errors, left over from the introduction of the Java script menu. Also tinkered with some text and added a completely new background.
28 October 2004 (Beijing)
8 October 2004 (Beijing)
- Added links to Milonic at home pages for Days of the Week. Also added redirects at Days of the Week, made necessary by the elimination of frames.
- Fixed a major blunder in the home page for Days of the Week (links all failed to lead to the pages they were supposed to).
25 September 2004 (Beijing)
- Added follow-scrolling menu to Days of the Week, again using the amazing menu licensed from Milonic. This eliminated frames at a swoop, although some rearrangement of the folder structure was necessary.
- Cleaned up headers.
- Moved the Bibliography of References the same page as Links. (The Summing Up page now looks like a sad and destitute remnant :-) )
4 September 2004 (Beijing)
- Fixed navigation error at Days of the Week in Vietnamese.
3 September 2004 (Beijing)
- Added Cascading Style Sheets (CSS).
26 July 2004 (Hainan)
- Rewrote sections of Days of the Week in Vietnamese to improve flow and intelligibility. A slight change was also made to Days of the Week - Links.
2 April 2004 (Hainan)
- Updated and rewrote some material.
25 March 2004 (Hainan)
- Started improving graphics for Days of the Week.
23 March 2004 (Hainan)
- Updated Days of the Week in Chinese as promised on 9 January and made some small changes to Days of the Week in Vietnamese.
27 February 2004 (Hainan)
- Fixed some links at Days of the Week.
- Added a new and important link to Days of the Week: Links. This link (in Chinese) is a well-researched piece by Huang Heqing (Zhaoxing TV site) which backs up many of the conclusions in Days of the Week and comes up with important new material — material I was unable to find. I will be rewriting Days of the Week to incorporate this information in a month or two.
22 December 2003 (Hainan)
- Corrected format error in Days of the Week site map.
- Cleaned up the headers in the Days of the Week section ('Go to Top' actually takes you to the top of the page) and made slight layout changes to the index page.
Oct, Nov, Dec 2003:
The main changes during these three months have been:
- 'Footnotes' in Days of the Week have been converted to popups as originally intended.